Monday, February 1, 2010

February 1 2010

Teaching Link of the Day:
Free Calendar Templates! They don't work in Openoffice, or they didn't before the updates I did. I haven't tried in the after, but if you have access to Excel then you're in business. Change the year in the top of the template, and the day and month you want to start on. For educational use only, and being that my job is all education, I am so very happy to have something that works.



Granny Square of the Day:

I wanted to try crochetting with a tiny hook and thin string. It's so..so dainty.
I noticed in the videos I watched yesterday that the instructor hooks her yarn from under, or inside her hand, while I hook it over, or from the outside. I tried her way and got some really uneven results, mostly because half the time I had forgotten to change my crochet direction. The benefit to her way is that I drop my loop less often (not a problem I had noticed before), and the benefit to mine is that I knit and purl continental, so crochetting in this pattern is natural.


Reading of the Day:
Earth, by Emile Zola
It's all about Translation. Mine was published in 1955 and translated by Ann Lindsay. Should I get the Penguin version, translated by Douglass Parmee, or should I skip it all and download it in French and find out what it really says? (Yes, I make a habit of reading books in French. It's the only connection I have with that language here in the West, though that being true I am also not as fluent as I once was.)

Below are the first two paragraphs of each version.

Vote: Lindsay's version (1) Parmee's Version (2) or skip them both and go with French (3).






See Shelfari! below, where (nearly) any novel I finish is up for grabs, just say the word. They're organized by books I've finished, books in progress, and books nearby.

1 comments:

Heather In Progress said...

#2 seems more specific and updated, but I kind of like the language of #3. Maybe you should read them both! A chapter of one, a chapter of the other... maybe throw in a chapter in French, too, for good measure.

February 02, 2010
 

©20092010 | by TNB